How to finish the year well. The questions I ask myself every December.
HOW TO END THE YEAR WELL
Up until 5 years ago, by this time every year I was exhausted, flat and empty. A timely coaching conversation with my then business partner Dr Robert Holmes turned this pattern on it's head and gave me a way to guarantee I finished the year well.
Here is the framework I now use every December to make sure I finish the year with plenty of wind in my sails.
FINISHING WELL FRAMEWORK
1. Honesty - Time to face up to reality. No delusion, game playing or pretence.
· What is the state of play in my health, finances, relationships, work/business?
· What am I tolerating or complaining about that is not how I’d like it to be?
· Where have I over promised and under delivered?
· What pain am I ignoring?
· Where am I now in relation to where I’d hoped to be at the start of this year?
· What’s going well?
· What progress have I made?
· What have been the key lessons I’ve learnt this year?
2. Resolution – Sorting out unresolved issues.
· What is my pain telling me I need to sort out/change/address?
· What issues are still unresolved in my life?
· What are these unresolved issues really costing me?
· Is there any unresolved conflict?
· Are there any painful conversations I’ve been avoiding?
· Are there any unfinished projects?
· Have I made any promises that are unfulfilled?
· Do I have borrowed items from friends and family that need returning?
· Are there any bills outstanding?
3. Alignment - Course corrections
· What is success and happiness to me?
· What are my big goals – Health, finances, relationships work/business etc?
· What would excite me in these areas?
· What is my believable plan to achieve them?
· What course corrections are necessary to align me to the kind of person I want to be to achieve the results I’m looking for?
· What 3 characteristics describe who I am being on my best day?
· What are my top priorities for December?
· How will I reward myself for finishing the year well?